--°C
News

Government Intensifies Measures To Prevent Possible Ebola Threat

Addressing the nation in Accra on Thursday, May 21, the Minister stressed that Ghana remains free of Ebola cases despite rising concerns over outbreaks reported in parts of Central and East Africa.

Prince Agyapong
|
Thursday, 21 May 2026
Share:
Government Intensifies Measures To Prevent Possible Ebola Threat

Health Minister Kwabena Mintah Akandoh has assured Ghanaians that the government is taking proactive measures to protect the country against Ebola following the World Health Organisation’s declaration of the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

Addressing the nation in Accra on Thursday, May 21, the Minister stressed that Ghana remains free of Ebola cases despite rising concerns over outbreaks reported in parts of Central and East Africa.

“Dear countrymen and women, the Ministry of Health over the past one week has issued two publications on Ebola. Last week, WHO declared Ebola as a public health emergency of international concern.” - Mr Akandoh

No Ebola Cases Recorded In Ghana

The Minister reassured the public that no Ebola infections have been recorded in Ghana or anywhere in the West African sub-region.

“It is important to note that no cases have been recorded in West Africa, including our dear country, Ghana,” he said.

The assurance comes amid heightened international concern following warnings by the World Health Organization over the spread of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.

According to the Health Minister, Ghana’s risk level remains low, but authorities are not taking chances with public health safety.

Surveillance And Screening Intensified

Mr Akandoh disclosed that the Ministry of Health and the Ghana Health Service have strengthened surveillance, screening and preparedness systems across the country in collaboration with international health partners.

He explained that Ebola is a highly infectious viral disease transmitted through direct contact with infected blood, body fluids, secretions and contaminated materials.

The Minister urged the public to remain alert and seek immediate medical attention if they experience symptoms associated with the disease.

“People experiencing symptoms such as sudden fever, headache, muscle pain, vomiting, diarrhea, or unexplained bleeding should immediately report to the nearest health facility.” - Mr Akandoh

Public Urged To Observe Preventive Measures

The Health Minister also called on citizens and organisers of public gatherings to strictly observe preventive protocols to minimise any possible risk of infection.

“One, practice good hand hygiene. What this means is that we should wash our hands frequently with soap and running water or use hand sanitizers,” he said.

He further appealed to organisers of events and social gatherings to provide handwashing stations and sanitisers to support public safety efforts.

“During mass gatherings, please also practice good hand hygiene and event organizers should provide hand washing stations and hand sanitizers,” he added.

Mr Akandoh urged Ghanaians to remain calm but vigilant, emphasising that public cooperation would be critical in preventing any potential outbreak in the country.

“I would like to use this opportunity to assure everybody that the government is taking all the necessary measures to protect us all,” he stated.

Comments

0/2000

Loading comments...

More in News